3/12/13 PROJECT: UNDERBLOG COLLECTIVE UPDATE… I wrote this in May of 2011, a few days after my daughter was born. Re-reading it now, it’s a great reminder to continue to live each day for what it is. A new beginning.
Today I had big plans to write a post introducing our little girl (plus send an announcement email/pics to friends and family). I was going to share some funny stories from the hospital and our time at home. But, as you can see, it didn’t happen.
Here’s what did happen…
• Little dumped his bowl of cereal all over himself. While I was feeding the baby.
• I took a 5-minute shower with the baby locked safely in my bedroom while the boys took their ninja training to a new level—on each other.
• The boys turned angelic at moments as they took turns holding and admiring the baby.
• My parents came to visit, made lunch and entertained the boys so I could take the baby to the doc (all good!).
• Big announced, “Mom, you look like the baby is still in your belly!”
• Little—who decided he needed to wear underwear today—wet his pants in the front yard. While I was feeding the baby.
• The baby stuck with her mellow, sleepy, sweet demeanor. All. Day. Long.
• When my mom told Big he had a nice mom, he replied, “Well, she’s not always nice.”
• The baby experienced her first family dance party. (Which, it turned out, was also her first Bon Jovi Friday thanks to a local DJ with great taste.)
• Little finally mastered his break dancing headstand.
There were a lot of things I didn’t get done today. But there was one huge thing I did do. I realized that today is the only day my baby girl will be 3 days old. Today is the only day Little will be four days shy of turning 2-1/2. Today is the only day Big will be 5 years and 51 days.
Honestly, there were moments today I started to wish away. But then I realized even the challenging moments make each day unique and truly memorable. (Well, I’m sure I forgot a few things…did I mention my baby is only 3 days old?)